Saturday, September 21, 2013

Mary and Martha: Off Center and Out of Kilter






MARY AND MARTHA

Introduction
Off Center and Out of Kilter



Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.

And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.  

-- Luke 10: 38-42 (KJV)



As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:38-41
It is so easy for we humans to get caught up with the distractions of this world. Certainly there are things that intrude upon us and things we do need show some concern for as we live out our days. We have responsibilities and duties to carry out faithfully as members of a family, as employees and as citizens. Honestly and diligently fulfilling our responsibilities to such is also being in obedience to the Lord.
These matters should not become matters of worry and I fell into that trap, worrying about things over which I have no control or over things of no real import. So much so that I lost sight of where my attention should remain. Not only did my writing go ignored, so did my daily prayer and study. But now I want to put aside those distractions and choose the better.
So with the help of your prayers maybe we can get back to what I intended and focus on what should be the focus and center of our lives. In the meantime we can take a look at Martha and her distractions and what we can know about her family.




Illustration: "Christ in the House of Mary and Martha" c.1620 by Diego Rodriques de Silva y Velazquez.


No comments:

Post a Comment